I have a child theme based on the twenty ten theme which I am happy with except for one thing. My gallery posts (I am a photographer so the goal of my blog is pictures) do not show any images from the post on the main page. I want to have my main page be a list of recent gallery posts each of which should show the shortened version of the description with a preview image (first image from the posted gallery). I am using NextGen Gallery and slim box to display my images - if that makes a difference.
I have found the place where the main loop creates the entry for each post on the main page:
<?php if ( is_archive() || is_search() ) : // Only display excerpts for archives and search. ?> <div class="entry-summary"> <?php the_excerpt(); ?> </div><!-- .entry-summary --> <?php else : ?> <div class="entry-content"> <?php the_content( __( 'Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">→</span>', 'twentyten' ) ); ?> <?php wp_link_pages( array( 'before' => '<div class="page-link">' . __( 'Pages:', 'twentyten' ), 'after' => '</div>' ) ); ?> </div><!-- .entry-content --> <?php endif; ?>
So, what I need to do is one of the following:
the_contentmethod to include my gallery's preview image along with what the theme does already.
- Override part of the main loop above to add an image after the call to
the_contentand before the call to
- Override the whole main loop to do the same.
I feel like I am missing something obvious because I see serious down sides to all three options I can come up with:
- I do not see any reference to overriding functions like
the_contentand even if I could I want to add to it not replace it. Is there even away to call the original method's functionality after you override a method?
- As far as I can see there is no way to override part of a loop - its all or nothing.
- Which leads me to 3 - replacing the main loop. At that point I have to seriously wonder if it is worth having a child theme if I replace the main loop. That's a lot of code that I don't need to own that I would end up owning.
Is there an obvious way to do this that I am missing?