This may not be the right place for this discussion as I suspect it relates more to OpenSource in general (if so, let me know and I will move it), but since it happened with a WordPress Plugin and the situation relates to things that happen in the WordPress Plugin community and its practices: I thought I might start here and ask.
Consider the following problem which I have encountered.
- In 2016 I willingly donated $1000 to a Plugin developer to contribute to their development of an upgrade, and I received an enhanced version.
- I then used their system to build several themes.
- I then needed and built a custom integration for that same Plugin.
- Note: I did not build the Plugin itself, but only 1 integration at that time
- I showed that Integration to the Plugin Author, who liked it
- The Plugin Author then emailed me and we had a Skype meeting
- The Plugin Author sells integrations for the Plugin on their website
- The Plugin Author offered to sell my Integration and cut me in
- I then sent them the source code so they could "examine it" (was this a mistake?)
- The Plugin Author took it, sells it on their site, took my name off of it, and stopped replying.
Here are some problems and questions I now have.
- 1) Is this the nature of OpenSource?
- 2) Does this happen often?
- 3) Was it a mistake on my part to send them the source code?
- 4) I have documentation that this happened, but no interest to pursue it legally, I see it as a waste of time with no good outcome.
I have since developed 5 additional integrations for this plugin over 2 years and no one has them yet. As such, I plan to RELEASE these integrations as part of the theme that is sold on a template website and have the following concerns:
- 5) What can I do to discourage the plugin developer from taking my custom integrations, yet again, and stripping my name off them?
- 6) Can I just sell these integrations on a place like Envato as scripts and not at all include or notify the Plugin Developer, and, will that protect the integrations in some way (such as documented "first publishing")?
- 7) How should I license these integrations? As in, what statement should appear in the code or readme.txt file?
- 8) Should I try to reach out to the developer and record the skype call and get everything on paper and look past the original theft? (after all, its their plugin, I only have some custom integrations)
- 9) Is this kind of thing "rare" or "common" with WordPress?
- 10) Are there any other suggestions the community might have for me regarding this issue?
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
EDIT: I am hoping that people with Plugin, extension and integration experience who have had similar experience will share their knowledge on the topic. I am not asking for legal advice. I am asking for someone with their finger on the "WordPress Pulse" to tell me "how things are done around here".