I’m working on an multi-national site for which the sponsors want pages supported so that each page:
- Can be served from a single default page regardless of the country (80% of pages), and
- Default pages can be ‘overridden’ by optionally including a country specific page. (NOT redirected.)
In-country people will maintain the country-custom 20% of pages, and a central person will maintain the other 80%.
I’m thinking of doing the following:
Have a generic page which is automatically used if the country specific page does not exist:
Use the country specific page instead if it does exist. (i.e. New Zealand:
So going to the follow pages ...
site.com/us/slug-name/=> returns content of:
site.com/nz/slug-name/=> returns content of:
site.com/br/slug-name/=> returns content of:
- … etc …
And going to:
site.com/slug-name/ will cause an IP location Lookup and will use the best guess of the country then will return the content for the appropriate country page.
So 2 questions:
1) Where (what WP hook) should I use to get the incoming request url and set/update the actual page reference whose content I want to return?
- Get the incoming URL, check for matching slug.
- If has exact match slug, then process that page. (continue default processing).
- If no country matching slug exists, then update the "page to process" to the
2) Are there any Plug-ins that have done this for me already?
Thanks in advance!