Having practised mirroring an existing wordpress site, I'm ready to migrate my website to a new server. Having simplified the steps necessary to do this, I'm hoping the following will work without having to change any database entries or Wordpress files. The domain name will stay the same, only the host will change.
1) Backup wordpress files from oldsite
2) Back up database from oldsite
3) Create a database on the new site using the same database name and password from the oldsite. (That way there is no need to change the original config file).
4) Upload oldsite database into newsite database.
5) Upload all wordpress files onto new server
6) Have the DNS record of my domain changed to point to the new server and directory.
7) Wait up to 48 hours (Although the TTL value is set to 10 minutes)
8) Newsite should be working identically to the oldsite
9) Delete all files from oldsite
Should this work okay?
My website is live and my main source of income. It also has good Google rankings which I have spent years achieving. My biggest fear is that by moving from one server to another Google will see it as a duplicate or brand new site and penalize me in the search results. I've also been told that all the Facebook likes on articles will break and will reset to zero. Is that correct?