I recently started a project in which I need to make some custom features to achieve the following goals from the client:
A musician which needs to show his work, publish some articles, and sell access to online tutorials and CD's/DVD's.
- An e-commerce, where the user can buy online tutorials. ** When the payment is done, I need to give access to the tutorial section so the user can watch the videos via streaming ** Today he already has an online shop, but it only sells CD's and DVD's, which is a lot simpler and doesn't involve anything but only notifying him about the purchases (WooCommerce)
- Some common website features (portfolio, discuss area, articles) in a responsive and clean layout
What makes me a little bit worried about the possibility of doing this is that the site is using WordPress.
I'm new to this tool, and I saw that I'm limited to plugins and themes to make my job. It is a lot intuitive and easy to end-user's control because of the administrative panel.
To get my question better structured:
- How limited I am when working in WordPress? In terms of front end customization (JS, CSS, HTML) and "back-end" customization (implement a new feature on the site, as said about the "tutorial shop" section)
- Can I achieve that goals easily with WordPress features? I don't know which tools I actually depend to achieve that.
- I was thinking about re-developing it in ASP.NET, but I don't know if it will take a lot of extra time and become a lot more complex by implementing the online shop and the administrative features that WordPress already has. The solution needs to keep itself still easy to deal with.