I would like to start a single WordPress Blog. As I already have some experience with one provider and as it is really cheap, I would like to use the same service for my planned blog. They offer:
- 1 GB webspace: I will not upload many big pictures and I guess almost no audio/video files, so I guess this is more than enough
- PHP 5.1 and PERL scripts: PHP 5.3.6 seems to be the latest version. Although they say on their website, that they support PHP 5.1, phpinfo() tells me they actually have 5.2.17-pl0-gentoo.
- MySQL: according to phpinfo(): Client API version: 5.1.56. The latest MySQL-Version is 5.5.14
- mod_rewrite: I guess it is enabled. This website uses mod_rewrite, doesn't it? I know that it is hosted by the provider I'd like to chose, so if mod_rewrite works there, it will work for me, too.
- .htaccess files may be used
- FTP access only! No ssh! No execution of binaries.
The requirements-page of worpress states:
- PHP 5.2.4 or greater
- MySQL 5.0 or greater
- The mod_rewrite Apache module
I would now like to know if it is easily possible to update wordpress when I only have FTP-access and phpMyAdmin. I would also like to know if it is easily possible to make backups.
(I ask, because I made the experience that creating backups with MediaWiki is impossible (or at least extremly difficult and laborious) without ssh access or mysqldump. It's the same for upgrading MediaWiki)