A friend of mine set up a WordPress sub site for me over three years ago as part of her own site. Although I have full control of the page and blog contents I cannot change the theme or the blog layout. The site really needs refreshing now and, though I have the confidence to do this myself, I feel the only way I can do it is by being given total access to her site - something I feel uncomfortable with. Is there any way I can make my sub site a site in its own right without changing the URL or losing any content?
Basically all you need to do is to import all the posts/pages from the sub-site to a new URL.
- First you will need to setup a new, fresh WP install e.g example.local (on localhost),
- then you need to export all the contents from your website (e.g example.com) on remote server,
- finally import all the contents (using XML file from step 2) to example.local
Once you have finished step 3, and eveything looks right, you can
- move domain example.com to your own server,
- export the script and database from example.local,
- and import them to the server,
and if things went smooth, you can ask your friend to remove the subsite from her site.