Let me start by saying that I have moved dozens of websites from one server to another, without issue.
I recently moved a website and when the URL is visited, a file named "download" with no extension and only a 1KB file size downloads automatically. I backed up all files and downloaded the databases using four different methods, just to make sure: BackWPup, BackUpWordPress and manually by zipping the files & downloading the files via FTP.
The original website works perfectly on the original server.
I used the method I've always used when moving to a new server.
On the new server:
- Create new DB, user and import database
- Upload files and unzip
- Edit wp-config.php with new DB name, user, password
- Change the website URL using the functions.php method in the WordPress Codex, here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL
I should also mention that I uploaded the site to three different servers (including a sub-domain on the original server), all with the same result.
In addition to the methods mentioned above, I tried the following things to try to troubleshoot:
- Changed the "plugins" folder name to see if a plugin was causing the error
- Changed the active theme folder name to see if the theme was causing the error
- Changed WP_DEBUG to "true" in wp-conig.php - But the site never loads, so no errors are displayed.
Currently, the erroneous website is located at - http://cgdev.webworksplayground.com/
Thanks for the help.