My blog is now over a year old, and I've been considering moving my blog from Wordpress.com for a while. My main reason for this is that I now how enough visitors that I believe I'd rather take the advertising revenue myself. As I understand it, I can move this to a separate hosting provider, or simply upgrade to the WordPress "Premium" service.
I've seen a few questions regarding similar topics; but my questions are (I believe) slightly more specific. First, these are some assumptions that I've made from the research I've done so far (are they all correct?):
- WordPress Premium protects any Google ranking I may have.
- I can add my own advertising plug-ins to Wordpress, but am restricted in their type (http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/what-are-the-best-ad-management-plugins-and-solutions-for-wordpress/).
- That a Wordpress hosted site will require no more maintenance that I currently do on my Wordpress.com site; also, that it will require no work from me to upgrade.
- I will be able to maintain and edit my blog in exactly the same way as I currently do.
- That I am restricted to using my current domain name.
The things I don't know:
- Do I have enough visitors to cover the cost of doing this (currently 500/month)?
- What I am restricted from doing if I do go with Wordpress.org?
- If I make the decision to go one way or the other, how difficult is that decision to reverse?