I have recently uploaded a new site I've been working on for a while - which is working and performing very well on the localhost - there is no notable sluggishness to the load-times.
Once uploaded to the server ( dreamhost dreampress WordPress optimized VPS ) - the site is so slow as to be almost unusable - what should I test, how and with what tools?
While my question may be very specific - I'd like to know about a good general routine for debugging and fixing this type of environmental difference - and include the following data to show people what I've looked into so far.
Update --- :
The number of requests and cached hits to the database is roughly equal between the local and live site - but the main problem seems to be a very long "waiting" cycle on page loads - between 10 - 20 seconds - but how can I find out what is happening in that time - what is the site waiting for?
Update ---- :
Tested page load via pingdom - averaging about 12 - 15 seconds to load Tested DNS - all 6 tests passed without error Tested Ping / TraceRoute - all clear
Plugin Data ---- :
Here is a pie chart from the godaddy P3 plugin for the localhost plugin resource usage and load time impact:
However, once uploaded ( to dreampress WordPress optimized VPS server ) the site is so sluggish and unresponsive, it's almost unusable - here is the same data from the live site:
The SabaiDiscuss Wrappers plugin goes form using 4% or resources to over 50% - the number of queries jump from 71 to 159
There are two additional plugin running on the live site - MinQueue to cache and minify scripts / sources and another debugging plugin.
Debug Bar gives me these two sets of data:
Localhost ---- :
TOTAL QUERY TIME:
Development Server --- :
TOTAL QUERY TIME:
Which seems to show the same number of queries are being run, but taking 1000 times longer to complete.