WordPress Development Stack Exchange is for WordPress developers and administrators to ask questions about:
- Theme and plugin development
- Development and management best practices
- Server configuration for WordPress
- Questions about first-party themes, plugins, and official projects of WordPress.org, such as the default themes, the feature/beta plugins, WP CLI, or the two official sub-projects bbPress/BuddyPress.
Note that we do not handle the following kinds of questions:
Questions not specific to WordPress (even if they happen in its context):
Questions that require professional hands-on involvement:
- Overly complex and specific things (known as work for me for free)
- Recovering from hacks and server issues
WordPress.com support issues
- Setup, feature, account, and other user support issues – try WordPress.com support
- Questions regarding the use of WordPress.com – try Web Applications Stack Exchange
- For further reading, see WordPress.org's official guidance on the difference between WordPress and WordPress.com
Questions asking for recommendations for plugins, themes, books or hosting services.
- See the related discussion on meta.
Questions concerning third-party plugins and themes
- As these required detailed knowledge of the workings of those plugins and themes, support is difficult and with thousands of plugins and themes available such knowledge is very specialized. Please consult the appropriate support forum and documentation for the plugin or theme in question.
- This includes products and services provided by the 3rd-party company Automattic, which are regularly mistaken as 1st-party.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?".
If your question is not specifically on-topic for WordPress Stack Exchange, it may be on-topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.