I was searching for a real good feature rich comment system for Wordpress, I used Disqus a few times and may still not know the whole list on features and why it's so popular. Would features like this be possible as a plugin? Without outsourcing comments, having them inside WordPress? Native comments enhanced in a way that it ends up like being something close to Disqus?
I am trying to understand if if it's just a commercial reason this services exist and want us to give them our comments or if there is a technical reason/benefit from this as well.
- Does the WordPress Disqus plugin actually store the comments inside your WordPress the classic way and just sync them with Disqus or are they really all just on Disqus.
- Whats do these services actually do that make them so extremely popular? Is it just this register, paste js and go easiness?
- Comment voting - we can do that with plugin's right?
- Login with google, facebook ... - Can we do that with plug-ins? Do you need some contract to do so? What about just using openid isn't that enough?
- What else? Whats so unique to them that plugins don't have? Are they really that complicated from a programming standpoint?
- What plugins come closest to the features Disqus has?
- Why outsource the comments in the first place? I searched for an alternative and there is one called Juvia but it also outsources the comments and it uses rails, since i want to host wordpress most likely on a WordPress specialized host it seems to be not a great idea to have another server with rails just for comments.
Opinions why I think services like Disqus are bad (just to clarify because someone will ask anyway. No discussion please, not allowed on this site + I don't want to debate anyway!)
- The idea of giving my comments to some other company is stupid. They may censor comments about things they think are illegal, or things they are illegal in some countries, thinks are against their commercial partners or whatever they like, they abuse my comments for advertising, they own my comments and not the kind of Person who agrees to give his rights away.
- The advertising inside Disqus is extremely annoying. I am a adblock plus user and used to only see 0.5% of ads on the web, the easylist filters do not block this Disqus block you can close. I don't want my users who do not use Adblock to see ads anyway.