I've run into a weird issue. Not a big deal, but i'm curious about the cause.
I was making a small edit to a site built by someone else; it was also temporary, so I was just using the built-in theme editor. But the index.php that is loaded in the theme editor is not the version that currently exists in the theme folder; it seems to be a cached, previous version.
This wouldn't be so unusual except that it is only affecting index.php. For every other theme file, changes showed up if I made them on my desktop and FTP'd the file up; likewise, changes made in the theme editor appeared in the actual files.
I have tried:
- switching themes to and from the correct one
- resetting my permalinks in case it was an .htaccess issue
- deactivating and reactivating all plugins (there are no caching plugins installed)