I installed a plugin called hide-title by unzipping it and copying the files to the plugins dir. But it doesn't show up in the plugin list.
I've checked the following:
- the plugin's main php file looks fine at a glance, it has the required header
- there's no double nesting problem such as "plugins/hide-title/hide-title/..."
- I've tried chmod -R 777 wp-content
- The plugin is compatible with my wordpress version
- I'm not working in a wrong dir - I tried, for example, renaming the twentyten theme to twentyten_ and that got reflected in the dashboard
It seems to be a more general problem because I also tried installing a theme and got the same problem.
I don't want to install the stuff via the dashboard UI because I had FTP/permissions problems with that and gave up on it.