I have a pretty complex search feature I would like some advice on.
I need to build a pretty advanced custom search in Wordpress and would like to get your opinion on how I can achieve it. I've made a lot searches for current plugins but nothing that really caters for this. I've also looked at creating custom functions (function.php)
It works like this:
- Input keywords into a text field,
- these can then be added to a keyword 'bank'.
- you can then select from drop down the industry to search in (post category maybe).
- Then another drop down for country
- and a final one listing the months published (september 2012, october 2012 etc)
Once the search button is hit, I need to display results based on relevance.
- So the top result would say 'Matched 4 filters: keyword, industry, country & date'.
- After there are no more results matching all 4 search options it displays any that match 3,
- then 2
- and eventually just displaying keyword searches.
So the search is essentially
- a text field to hold all keywords,
- 3 drop down select fields
- and then the search button.
I'm not convinced this is the best method to store a list of keywords given by the user before launching the search. May need to think alternatives.
Hope it makes sense so far.
My knowledge of customizing wordpress is pretty good but I've never created a search before. I would like to ask for opinions for tackling this as a solution.
Hope you can help.