Here's the overview of the setup:
- I have a multisite installation of WordPress 3.4.2.
- I've installed the Active Directory Authentication Integration plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/active-directory-authentication-integration/) to allow users to use their AD credentials. This also allows assigning AD groups to each site, so that the site admins do not manually have to assign permissions.
- I have installed the Network Privacy plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/network-privacy/), so that certain sites must be logged into before you are able to see any content. Anonymous users only see the login page.
In many regards, this setup works. I am having one problem however, which is stopping me from rolling this out to our primary WordPress multisite installation:
- Bob is a member of the "ITSupport" group in AD.
- Bob is also a member of the "Domain Users" group in AD.
- The main site (www.mysite.com) is locked down to only allow "Domain Users" members to login.
- The sub-site (www.mysite.com/itsupport) is locked down to only allow "ITSupport" members to login.
- Bob visits www.mysite.com and is prompted for authentication. He enters his AD credentials and is allowed into the site.
- Now that he's logged in on www.mysite.com, Bob clicks the link to go to www.mysite.com/itsupport and receives an error that he is not a member of the site.
- It appears that no user entry has been created in the WordPress database for this sub-site.
- Bob logs out of www.mysite.com.
- Now that he is logged out, Bob goes directly to www.mysite.com/itsupport and is prompted for authentication. He enters his AD credentials and is allowed into the site.
- It appears that the user entry in the WordPress database is created at this point for this sub-site.
- Now if he logs out and logs into www.mysite.com, he can traverse to the itsupport site without any issues.
If I delete Bob's user entries for both sites and disable the Network Privacy plugin, Bob is able to login to www.mysite.com and then traverse to the itsupport site. But if I delete his user entries and re-enable the Network Privacy plugin, the problem reappears.
I had the same problem with one other privacy plugin, though I can't remember which one.
If you can spot the problem or if you have setup something similar, I'm willing to try anything, as long as I meet the basic criteria of using AD groups and being able to lock down certain sites.