I've been playing around with a lot of custom post types lately and I am pretty anal about my URL structure / routing.
An issue I ran in to a with a site that I just developed was this:
- I had many custom post types, for example:
- The URL structure to 'view' the video list (ie: archive of sorts) was
- This 'view' was basically a custom
WP_Querydisplaying things properly from a custom .php template.
- When an individual 'video' link is clicked you are taken to the post type URL structure, ie:
- This causes all loss of URL structure/parental relationship to structure.
I would love to solve this problem:
- When you navigate to
/media/videos/you get the custom loaded template file
- When you click a video
permalink(), you will be linked to
- Ideally this would perserve hierarchy of URL structure (so if something like Breadcrumb NavXT it would still have a relationship).
I made a teacher/student/etc module one time where I did custom routing via
add_rewrite_rule to handle these problems, but I would rather figure out how to handle hierarchy appropriately in this situation.
Can someone please point me in to the right direction?