We have a multi-site wordpress blog with the following characteristics:
- "home" site [site #1] with dozens of pages, some custom post types, our own blog, etc.
- custom partner sites [site 2-N] each with their own customized blog and (at least) an "about us" page. Mostly a simple set of pages & posts.
I'd like to build a good search experience for users who are trying to find a particular partner's pages:
- search for site 1 content has high quality (default wordpress search doesn't seem to be very good)
- search also returns pages from sites 2-N, only for blogs that are public
- specific custom fields of posts on sites 2-N are indexed
- if content is found on site 2-N's about page, the site's home page is suggested in a separate area. ie. this is "partner results" rather than "content results"
- we don't need to index tags, categories, etc. in fact based on how we are (ab)using them they might get in the way of good search
I am technical and can build something using whatever APIs are available, for instance Google custom search, etc. But I'd love it if there is already a network-wide search plugin that will let me configure this (or at least give me a head start and APIs.) Commercial plugins are okay.
Are there any good solutions or is custom development the best option?