I've written a custom plugin for my fishkeeping website which allows users to enter information about a species of tropical fish (i.e. "habitat", "distribution", "locality", etc).
Each of these are
meta fields. They're currently drag/drop collapsible meta fields, using cleditor as the rich text editor of choice.
I opted for cleditor because back in WP 2.8 or whatever it was that I started the development of this plugin on, I couldn't work out a way of getting multiple instances of TinyMCE on to the same page.
By "multiple instances", I primarily mean editors with different
Since then, I believe
wp_editor command has come in to play, which might assist me somewhat.
My question is this: is it possible to have multiple, different instances of TinyMCE on the same page in the admin area of WP?
Here's my written version of a use case diagram!
- User clicks into "Species" menu, clicks "Add new species"
- User sees a number of meta boxes. I'm not too fussed if these are drag/droppable, but it'd be useful if they could be collapsed and if they could be removed from the screen entirely.
- Certain fields like "genus" and "species" are less than 25 characters each. Can TinyMCE be reduced to a single row? Not a huge problem if it can't.
- Certain fields will need a row of custom buttons - I know I can create these in TinyMCE, but can I have my
genusfield with 3 buttons on, my
habitatfield with the normal set of buttons on and my
water_chemistryfield with a row of 8 custom buttons?
- Certain fields will need to be different sizes -
genusas I mentioned earlier will need to be as small as possible in both dimensions;
max_size_noteswill need to be 8 rows and
misc_noteswill need to be 16.
- I'd prefer to use
wp_editor()if at all possible as it's clean and easy..!
A detailed, insightful answer would be hugely appreciated here. I've spent a great deal of time getting cleditor working and writing buttons for it, only to find that it has a number of formatting bugs :(
Thanks in advance,