WordPress Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for WordPress developers and administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a wp multisite installation with multiple blogs that are totally separated websites. I use a plugin for domain mapping.

Right now I am configuring everything and I wanted to remove the /blog slug from the main blog, I did it by editing the settings as "network admin". I used /%POSTNAME%/ and / for category and tags base. The posts opens fine opening www.url.com/postname, but www.url.com/categoryname show 404, I tested changing the category base to anything (like /c) and www.url.com/c/categoryname works.

But I don't want to have a category base I want the category post lists to open on www.url.com/categoryname.

How can this be done?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You can't have / as category and tags base, at least not without using a plugin like this one:


Doing it for both tags and categories seems almost impossible to me though.

share|improve this answer
I added /tag for tags base but categories still wont work with / as base in any case. If I use another base for categories they work fine. I've also tried that plugin but nothing changes. – todgil Sep 28 '11 at 15:22
As said, you'll need to run that plugin to be able to do that. It can't be done by just setting them to nothing. – Joost de Valk Sep 28 '11 at 15:24
I tried it but it's still showing 404 errors for categories. It changed the menu links and /categorybase/categoryname redirects to /categoryname, but that still shows 404. – todgil Sep 28 '11 at 15:26
I regenerated the permalinks and reactivated the plugin and now it seems to work fine, thanks. – todgil Sep 28 '11 at 15:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.