WordPress Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for WordPress developers and administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The following words are reserved for use by WordPress functions and cannot be used as blog names: page, comments, blog, files, feed

This is the error message that I'm getting. I wanted to use /blog as a sub-site in the network. What I require is that my site has the following structure:

Home (only contains links to the other parts)
Part 1
Part 2

Would using permalinks solve my problem? I want all my blogs to appear in only the 'Blog' part of the site and nowhere else.

Another follow-up query is that, since I'm working on this site on my localhost, I'm using sub-folders. But when I eventually transfer the site on a web host, I want to use sub-domains. I'm mentioning this as I fear that any solution to the above problem can influence this.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted


/blog cannot be used as a new site name. It is relied on heavily by WP for the main site. Everything added to it automatically has /blog as part of the permalink from my understanding

You can check out this discussion http://wordpress.org/support/topic/root-directory-blog-for-wordpress-30-main-multisite to see if it helps you out, gives some further options.

The main issue with the /blog is to prevent collisions. I'm not sure of the repercussions of not using it, when using subdomains

I'm not sure if you can easily switch from subfolders to subdomains..... I would think that would cause some issues. I think when you transfer over, the existing subsites are not switched.... so if you set it up one way, and try to change, there may be some headaches

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.