With the current version of wordpress 3.2.1 I am having this kinds of problem. I install wordpress frequently and I did not notice it before 3.2.1
Problem: Not being able to save settings under settings tab. The file names are
options-privacy.php. Only settings that seems to be working is
options-permalink.php. When I press the save settings button its just keep going and after couple of minutes its says "connection was reset" and some time with a "500 internal server error".
options.php page is also okey infact i am currently using it to same those information.
- Hosting: Tested in different hosting "inmotion", "hostgator" "godaddy".
- Technical info: All of those wordpress runs on Linux and apache.
- Browser: I know its not a browser issue but still i tested it with different browsers Firefox and Chrome.
- Theme installed: Some of those sites are using default 2011 theme and some custom theme. So, I don't think its a problem with theme.
- Plugins: Tested with fresh wordpress install with no plugin/with plugin.
Just downloaded the wordpress 3.2.1 zip file from wordpress.org and installed it to my localhost. Its seems fine in my local computer. But still having problem with wordpress in server.