WordPress Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for WordPress developers and administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the simplest way to add a second HTML editor to the post/page admin and show the content in a template?

What I need is something like a custom field that supports html, but I don't need the options to name the field. And I don't need a visual editor like tinyMCE; just html will do.

What I'm thinking of is simply a small text-editor box that sits under the main visual/html editor and shows the resulting html in a template via <?php if ( function_exists('my_extra_editor_content') ) ... with the text/html in a styleable div.

Plugins like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-field-template/ and http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/developers-custom-fields/ offer too much in terms of functions and choices.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I use Bill Erickson's custom meta boxes or plugin like Secondary HTML Content (probably the easiest solution)

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I tried both and both work well for different needs; Custom Meta Boxes and Fields for complex uses, and the Secodnary HTML Content for simple sites. But I now use CMB&F for everything. – markratledge Jul 16 '14 at 16:15

I dont know if this will help but any Custom Field input will support html. I use html there all the time for headings and custom text in posts and pages.

share|improve this answer

Have you tried a textarea in a meta box? Meta boxes are more user friendly.

About your requirement, it sounds like just a textarea will do. Please be aware that even full tinyMce based editors are possible using existing WordPress libraries.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.