What we have for a project is:
- multiple sites (production, test, local development);
- migrated by multiple methods (PHPMyAdmin, Navicat, BackupBuddy);
And the issue we are having is that while original production site seems to work fine, rest of the installations are constantly plagued by text encoding issues.
Original site is configured with
latin MySQL tables, but WP is configured and serves pages as
UTF-8, which I was told (in our chat) is already problematic. Rest of sites (whose databases mostly mirrors original production site) display issues such as:
- broken characters (correctable by tweaking WP encoding settings);
- broken characters (not correctable by tweaking WP encoding settings);
- site working fine, but feeding broken characters to external libraries.
Since I had tried to untangle this for a while and there isn't much info on diagnosing encoding issues in WP, my questions are following:
How to reliably diagnose if site has encoding configuration issues, even if it might not display them under normal circumstances?
Which rules should be formulated, put into documentation and enforced to prevent encoding issues on migration?