I'm working with another team member and they are reside in a different US State. We are working to convert an existing static e-commerce site to a Wordpress site.
I want to have a DEV install of Wordpress so that we both can access it easily. I'm going to do the majority of the coding. He will help with some HTML/CSS and a lot of data related work. Either manually entering in items or figure out some import method.
Here are the options that I've thought through and it makes sense to do Option 2.
- Install Wordpress on my laptop
- Install DB on my laptop
- Configure my router to allow incoming HTTP requests and redirect them to my laptop
- When we want to deploy to PROD, follow steps to move code to server, dump the DB and import into DB on server.
The downside of this is that if I turn my laptop off, or if something goes wrong with my cable modem, my partner won't be able to access Wordpress.
- Install Wordpress on server at the current domain in a subdirectory, ex: domain.com/wordpress
- Install DB on server
- Password protect the directory to stop someone or some bot that tries to go into the directory
- When we want to deploy, update index.php
Are there other Options that could also work?
I would also need version control. I could put the install under SVN.
How do people version control databases with the code. Ideally they both should be in sync.