I develop wordpress sites for a living, and today I am experiencing something that I haven't yet come across: Extremely slow load times / latency problems. You can view the site here: http://ziprecords.com.previewdns.com/ Here are the steps I took:
Developed a theme on localhost, everything worked perfectly.
Exported data from within wordpress backend
Opened up Godaddy account and set up new shared hosting account, and installed Wordpress using their self-installer. I am testing this site using their 'preview DNS', which enables you to view the site live before connecting a domain. Godaddy assured me, this works fine with WP installs.
I then attempted to import the data from the local install. There was errors on the media uploads (failed to import media).
I manually uploaded media files, and relinked the pictures to all my posts (from this point on, I knew something was fishy)
I went to my local phpMyAdmin and exported the entire database in SQL. (keep in mind, I am using a plugin called shopp, which powers the ecommerce section of the site. These tables were included in the export)
In a text editor, I replaced all of the local host references to the new domain URL.
I went to my Godaddy phpMyAdmin and dropped all of the pre-existing wordpress tables. I then imported the SQL database.
I then went to the site and looked at it. It was pretty darn slow.
It seemed like as I entered more products into the shop and more content on the site, it became slower and slower, but perhaps that is a coincidental. I am experiencing some SEVERE latency/speed problems.
I called Godaddy, and after some tests, they said everything is fine on their end.
I then tried testing this out on ANOTHER server using the exact sames steps as above. When I tried uploading the XML backup, EVERYTHING failed to import, even post types and post content. When I tried importing the SQL, everything works fine. The new site is working as I wish as far as speed, however, all of the content is completely missing, due to the failed import.
So now I am stuck in a situation where I am unable to target the cause of this problem, and I don't have a working test environment because the Wordpress import fails every time.
The latency problems could be on Godaddys end; however, I am sure that something is screwed on on the WP DB, as indicated by the failed media imports/ exports, as well as the extremely slow latency.