Currently i use a dump script and commit the database to the git repo.
--skip-extended-insert --skip-comments --skip-dump-date means that a diff can give me a fair idea of what has changed, but it all falls down if I try to merge.
The WP_SITEURL, WP_HOME and all the other places wordpress stores full URLs need updating when importing to another host (testing,staging,production)
Is anyone using a better method?
- Wordpress stores full URLs all through the database (non-portable)
- Lots of other, non-relevant records change
- auto_increment values (i just strip these out, but have run into ID issues)
- timestamps (can also strip out, potentially)
- transient* records ... no idea what to do with them
A process that created timestamped migrations, with only the things added or removed, would be ideal... but i'm not sure if it's even possible?