My setup is as follows
I hava a custom post type named 'events' and a custom post type named 'genres' which I link with scribu's Posts2Posts plugin. Each event can have multiple genres linked to it.
What I would like to do
On an event page, I'd like to show other, related, events based on the genres the current event has.
What I think I should do
- Run a query which gets all the genres IDs of the current event
- Pass these IDs in a second query which finds all the events which have one or more of these genres linked to it
I have a p2p query which I'd like to output all events which have one AND / OR more of the given genres in connected_items. I pass them as an array, just like in the documentation.
To illustrate my outcome, lets say that
- event1 has linked genres with post ids 1240, 1241, 1242 and 1250
- event2 has linked genres with post ids 1240, 1241 and 1260
- event3 has linked genres with post ids 1241 and 1242
In the first query I get all the genre IDs, this works.
The second query which gets all the events with the given genres (I pass them as an array):
$args = array( 'connected_type' => 'genres_to_events', 'connected_items' => array(1240,1241,1242), 'post_status' => 'publish', 'posts_per_page' => -1, ); $query = new WP_Query($args);
The thing is that the output checks for each connection in the array, and therefor the output of the query is:
But I'd like to output each event once based on if it has one or more of the genres connected to it. I don't think this is explained in the documentation, any ideas?